Today marks one year of my participation in the delightful masochism we like to call CrossFit. On August 17, 2010, I met Coach Dave at CrossFit Durham for my first Foundations session, and I’ve been back there two hundred eleven more times. That’s an average of exactly four times per week.
If you had asked me a year ago how long I would make it, I have no idea what I would’ve told you. But I’ll say now, I’ve never logged this kind of record at a gym. I belonged to one in Carrboro for a couple years, but if I made it to one or two aerobics classes a week, that was a lot.
This next part’ll be boring to everyone but me, but I’d like to get down my most recent numbers now, just to have it on record. All are one-rep maxes, unless otherwise noted.
- 3/21/11 Row 2k 10:38
- 4/1/11 Run 800 meters 4:57
- 4/8/11 Row 500 meters 2:06
- 4/8/11 Run 400 meters 2:04
- 4/9/11 Clean and jerk 100.5 lbs
- 5/2/11 Front squat 115 lbs
- 5/23/11 Overhead squat 75.5 lbs (x3)
- 5/27/11 Push press 90.5 lbs
- 6/16/11 Bench press 95 lbs
- 7/8/11 Snatch 68 lbs
- 7/20/11 Press 75 lbs
- 8/?/11 Kipped a red-band pull-up
- 8/5/11 Back squat 155 lbs
- 8/8/11 Deadlift 213 lbs
- 8/9/11 Push jerk 102.5 lbs
- 8/12/11 46 dead-hang blue-band pull-ups in 20 minutes
- 8/17/11 18 Double-unders in a row, during a WOD
These numbers are stupid. They’re stupid. I’m really not strong or fast (definitely not fast!) or good at anything, compared to the other people at the gym. But they’re my numbers, and they’re better than I did a year ago, so I’ll go ahead and be proud of them.
And I can’t see myself stopping any time soon. I love it. So there you go.
That being said, I looked at today’s WOD online this morning, and—get this—it was (1) Run 800 meters carrying a 12-lb medicine ball, (2) 100 20-in box jumps, and (3) run another 800 meters carrying a 12-lb medicine ball.
For my CrossFit-iversary, I gave myself the gift of not doing that fucking bullshit.